MINUTES
ACADEMIC BOARD MEETING
NOVEMBER 18, 1999

BG H. S. CARTER, COL R. A. MALONEY,COL H. W. ASKINS, JR. CPT J. A. JOHNSON for COL J. B. McMILLAN, COL R. E. BALDWIN, COL I. S. METTS, JR., COL M. A. BEBENSEE, COL W. B. MOORE, JR., COL J. R. BLANTON, COL L. W. MORELAND, LTC K. DURGUN, COL S. OZMENT for COL C. E. CLEAVER, COL D. J. FALLON, COL D. H. REILLY, CPT T. D. MATTHEWS, COL W. R. HURREN for COL A. J. FINCH for COL P. J. REMBIESA, LTC A. W. LeCLERCQ, MAJ D. D. BRATTON for COL F. W. SHEALY, LTC J. S. LEONARD, COL G. B. STALEY, LTC J. A. LIPOVSKY, COL M. H. EZELL for COL G. L. WILSON

The meeting was called to order at 1520 hours.

AGENDA ITEM # 1: APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF 19 OCTOBER 1999 MEETING

The minutes of the October 19th meeting were unanimously approved as written.

AGENDA ITEM # 2: FTPC CONCERNS

BG Carter distributed documents detailing concerns raised by the Faculty Tenure and Promotion Committee (FTPC) and his response to those concerns. He explained to the Board that members of the FTPC had asked that sections of General Order 12 and the revisions to it-specifically use of the results of student evaluation of instruction and external review-be disregarded in this year's review of candidates for tenure and promotion. BG Carter reported that following meetings with the deans, the FTPC, and Roberta Tracy (the EEO Officer) and careful study of the documents, he reached the conclusion that we are obligated to adhere to the official policy of the institution. Furthermore, he noted that if the FTPC recommendation had been accepted, no feedback of candidates based on direct observation of their teaching would have been included in the review process. He stated that he has made a commitment to continue to study the issues raised and to consider further revisions to G.O. 12 that are a product of the established review process.

AGENDA ITEM # 3: MERIT PAY REPORT

BG Carter distributed copies of an October 15th Memo from the Merit Pay Committee. At this point, the Committee and the deans have agreed on essentially everything up to the section in the Memo on distribution of merit pay. This will be discussed further since the President's intent was not only to reward outstanding performance but also to address issues of compression and inversion.

BG Carter also distributed three lists of peer institutions for which we have requested salary studies. He will prepare a composite report from the studies solicited and forward that to department heads.

The merit evaluation process will cover the last three years of employment for faculty who have been at The Citadel that long.

LTC Leonard asked about the timetable for determining and effecting merit increases. BG Carter responded that the goal is to complete the evaluation process as early in the next calendar year as possible. Following discussion of an appropriate timeline, the Board agreed that faculty should be asked to submit Personal Data Sheets by January 7th and that the entire evaluation process should be completed by the end of January.

BG Carter said he and the designated dean would meet with each department head to discuss salary adjustments as soon as his or her evaluations were prepared.

LTC Hurren commented on the demoralizing effect on faculty of going so long without merit pay and asked how this can be avoided in the future. BG Carter stated his belief that since CDF has provided support this year, they are likely to be willing to consider providing support again, though not necessarily every year. He also suggested that the College should consider alternative ways to allocate the amount authorized by the State.

BG Carter reported that he and COL Metts had met with the CDF Board at its request and provided a detailed briefing on The Citadel's scholarship program. The College estimated a need for $988,000 in additional scholarship funds this year and requested that amount from CDF. CDF did not approve an outright grant but did offer to lend the College the money. However, The Citadel learned that State regulations do not allow that. In actuality, the College needs about $500,000 in additional scholarship funds this year. The briefing seemed to be well-received by CDF.

AGENDA ITEM # 4: NCATE UPDATE

COL Reilly announced that the preliminary visit is scheduled for November 29th. Preparations are proceeding pretty much on schedule for the NCATE Visit February 19-23. To date, the Education Department has offered two briefings for department heads, but very few have attended. COL Reilly reminded Board members of the importance of the NCATE visit for the entire college and asked for their support. The Board will receive a briefing at its regularly-scheduled meeting in January.

AGENDA ITEM # 5: GRADUATE COUNCIL REPORT

COL Reilly said that at its most recent meeting the Graduate Council reviewed the draft strategic plan for the College of Graduate and Professional Studies. The plan focuses on organization and administration and on securing needed resources. He expected to be able to share the plan with Academic Board at the December meeting.

AGENDA ITEM # 6: AACSB UPDATE

COL Bebensee reminded Board members that the Visit is scheduled for February 6-8, 2000.

AGENDA ITEM # 7: FACULTY COUNCIL REPORT

LTC Lipovsky indicated that Faculty Council did not deal with any action items at its most recent meeting. She did report that she has gathered data on the campus parking situation and is hoping to offer recommendations soon. One of those recommendations will be to create a gravel lot on Kovat's Field and eventually to pave it. The Faculty Council has also been discussing recent acts of violence in the barracks and sent a letter to BG Mace recommending some proactive steps to address the problem, including having adults on duty in the barracks around the clock. The AAUP chapter has sent a letter to BG Mace as well.

LTC Lipovsky reminded the deans that the issue of the Post Tenure Review process is still pending.

AGENDA ITEM # 8: UPDATE ON VETERANS' PROGRAM

BG Carter informed the Board that he has established a committee to study the reinstatement of the Veterans Program and has asked The Citadel's attorneys to offer an opinion on the associated legal issues. Dennis Rhoad of the Board of Visitors has agreed to serve on the committee.

AGENDA ITEM # 9: SMOKING IN CAPERS HALL OFFICES

BG Carter stated that COL Staley has removed this item from the agenda and will be working with him on resolving the problem.

AGENDA ITEM # 10: PROPOSED STUDENT EVALUATION BOOKLET

COL Staley spoke in favor of having students evaluate faculty but expressed reservations about turning the results over to the department heads for use in annual evaluations. To make the process fair and open for everyone, he recommended publishing all results in a book that would be distributed campuswide. BG Carter said this had actually happened at Georgia Southern where the SGA obtained the information under the Freedom of Information Act and paid to have it published. It caused widespread consternation among the faculty. BG Carter pointed out that making the results widely available does not clear up the legal issues associated with the use of student evaluations either since faculty can still dispute the validity of the instrument.

COL Hurren stated that this had also happened at an institution where he was formerly department head. He spoke against the suggestion.

COL Ezell urged that student evaluations be used in formative rather than summative ways, for faculty improvement rather than for faculty evaluation.

COL Metts reminded the Board that while General Order 12 calls for department heads to use comments on student evaluations in assessing faculty performance, the process allows for faculty to respond to the conclusions drawn by department heads.

COL Reilly commented that we should be looking at feedback over a period of time, not just the data from one semester. We should be looking at themes or patterns, not at isolated comments. LTC Lipovsky agreed.

BG Carter repeated the promise he made to the FTPC that the College will undertake a review of the student evaluation instrument. At least two studies will be conducted on its validity-one internal and one external. He suggested that COL Staley renew his recommendation after these studies have been conducted if he wishes to do so.

AGENDA ITEM # 11: RECOMMENDATIONS OF CORE CURRICULUM OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE

COL Ozment explained the delay in final approval of the new options for meeting English and social science core curriculum requirements. There was considerable discussion about the legitimacy of having the Core Curriculum Oversight Committee give final approval. Board members expressed concern that students remain confused and that some indications are that even the staff members in the Registrar's Office are not giving accurate information. COL Ozment stated that she would confer with the Registrar immediately and would send out an e-mail message to students clarifying their options.

AGENDA ITEM # 12: ACADEMIC CALENDAR

COL Ozment distributed copies of the draft academic calendar for 2000-2001. She called attention to the fact that the current plan is for commencement for the College of Graduate and Professional Studies to be held the weekend prior to cadet commencement next week. This necessitates starting evening classes the week prior to when cadet classes start. COL Askins stated that this is not workable for members of his department who are teaching sections of the same course to cadets and to evening undergraduates. LTC Leonard asked if it was essential that undergraduate and graduate classes in the CGPS start at the same time. BG Carter offered to look at the options again.

AGENDA ITEM # 13: MAKE UP CLASSES ON NOVEMBER 20TH

BG Carter asked department heads to help ensure that make up classes are being held on the 20th.

AGENDA ITEM # 14: MISCELLANEOUS

BG Carter announced that he supports allowing cadets to leave campus as soon as their final exams are over rather than requiring them to remain on campus until a specified date. He emphasized though that if we permit this, faculty cannot change exam times for the convenience of students who wish to leave early.

COL Ozment asked department heads to urge faculty not to agree to alternative exam times. If they would deny such requests themselves, it would eliminate some of the traffic in the dean's office.

COL Ozment asked that as department heads make adjunct appointments for spring term, they be sure to prepare a letter of appointment for each adjunct and to send a copy of the letter and of the adjunct faculty member's acceptance to Human Resources and to the designated dean. This protects the College in the event of a dispute about the terms of the offer. Human Resources has agreed not to send a pay form to Payroll until they have a copy of the letter of appointment on file.

The meeting was adjourned at 1705 hours.

Submitted by

Suzanne Ozment
Dean of Undergraduate Studies and Dean of Woman