From The Citadel Archives Guide
Letter,  July 5.
Cadet at the Arsenal Academy describes the Fourth of July celebration, victory at Richmond and evacuation of James Island and personal matters such as clothing, vacation and family.
The Arsenal Academy in Columbia and The Citadel comprised the South Carolina Military Academy. Cadets spent their freshman year at The Arsenal and transferred to The Citadel for the remaining three years. The Arsenal was burned in 1865 and did not reopen.
AF Arsenal Academy
Letter of Appointment, 1864 Dec. 2
For A.O. Brown to attend the Arsenal Academy as a pay pupil and to report to the officer commanding the Battalion of State Cadets.
On exhibit. (A1992.12)
- BARTLETTE, JULIUS LYMAN, 1845-?
- CIVIL WAR 1861-1865
- COLUMBIA, S.C.
- CONFEDERATE VETERAN
- CONNER, JAMES
- HUGUENIN, THOMAS A., 1839-1897
- JAMES ISLAND
- MANGET, VICTOR, 1837-1919
- PATRICK, JOHN B., 1832-1900
- REED, CLIFTON A., 1846-
- SAMS, ROBERT OSWALD, 1841-1930
- STEEDMAN, ISAIAH GEORGE WASHINGTON, 1835-1917
- THOMAS, JOHN PEYRE, 1833-1912
- Back to MAIN PAGE