Displaying the Total Number of Slides
PowerPoint 2003 does not have a feature
that allows you to display the total number of slides in the slide number
area of the slide. However, there is a simple work-around.
NOTE: Do these steps at the end of creating the presentation, when you
are sure of the total number of slides in your presentation.
A. Edit the Slide Master
- Go under the View menu, choose Master, and then Slide
Master. (Figure 1)
- The Slide Master will open. (Figure 2)
- In the lower, right-hand corner of the slide master, there is a placeholder
titled "Number Area." (Figure 3)
- Notice the <#> inside of the placeholder. This code will display
the current slide number. DO NOT DELETE IT!! (Figure 4)
- Click to the right of the <#>, and give yourself a space.
- Type the words "of N". (Figure
- N equals the total number of slides in the presentation.
- For example, if the presentation has a total of 12 slides, you
would type "of 12 " after the <#>.
- Go back to the normal slide view by going to the View menu,
and choosing Normal. (Figure 6)
B. Activate the Slide Footer
- Go under the View menu and choose Header and Footer... (Figure
- The Header and Footer dialog box will open. (Figure 8)
- Make sure the "Slide" tab is active. (Figure
- Click in the checkbox beside "Slide number". (Figure 10)
Click the "Apply to All" button. (Figure 11)
You will now see the slide numbers on each slide. (Figure
- Uncheck "Date and time" if you don't want them displayed on the
- Uncheck "Footer" if you don't want the footer displayed on the