GPA: a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or higher. Applicants with less than a 2.5 undergraduate GPA may appeal to The Admission, Retention, and Certification Committee.

Scores: a combined minimum verbal and quantitative GRE score of 900 or a minimum raw score of 396 on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT).

Transcripts: Official transcripts of the baccalaureate degree and all other undergraduate or graduate work from accredited colleges and universities.

Prospective students for the M.A.T. should apply online through the School of Education.


James M. Hutchisson,
Director of Graduate Study in English


Kathryn Richardson-Jones,
Coordinator of Teacher Education

MAT Degree Program


The M.A.T. is jointly administered with The Citadel's School of Education and has been nationally recognized by the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) at the secondary-school level. It is designed for anyone seeking initial certification to teach English in the public schools. (If you are currently teaching in an independent school or plan to do so, then either the M.A. or the M.A.T. provides the necessary preparation.)

Students take a series of courses offered through the Education department in such areas as educational psychology, the history of education, and data collection and analysis, and a series of courses in literature and rhetoric through the English department. Your program of study in English is determined through an analysis of your undergraduate and other school transcripts. Students' English programs of study will vary, depending on their previous coursework.


Courses in English


The NCTE, a national organization devoted to improving the teaching and learning of English and the language arts at all levels of education, requires that the M.A.T. candidate have taken the following courses or their equivalents:

Click here for a chart showing the connection between Citadel courses and NCTE requirements.

Students must take three of these courses at the graduate level. For a list of current and upcoming course offerings, click here. Courses are usually offered on a two-year rotation. Click here for a projected listing of MAT courses through Spring 2012.

The rest of the required courses may be taken at the undergraduate level, either here or at any accredited undergraduate institution. Credits taken elsewhere should be approved in advance by the director of graduate study.

The College of Charleston, Charleston Southern University, and Trident Technical College all offer courses that will help you complete your program of study, although not all are available every semester. Clicking on these links will take you to webpages on which you can search for available classes.

Lastly, all students take English 595, Materials and Methods for English Language Arts, and then usually do their student teaching the semester after taking the course.

All student teaching is coordinated by the School of Education.