These are the steps to follow to pay an individual an honorarium for an engagement at The Citadel. Please begin this process as soon as you determine the need for an honorarium payment, so that the required paperwork can be completed and the individual can be paid promptly.
The Citadel will make payment only to the individual performing the service. Honorariums will not be sent to a third party, such as a foundation.
1. Determine whether the individual you are paying (payee) is an employee of a South Carolina State Agency. If the payee is a state employee, you must contact Human Resources and go through the dual employment process. If the payee is not a state employee, proceed to step #2.
2. Determine whether the payee is a United States
Citizen. If the payee is not a
3. Complete the forms below.
4. Send a copy of the completed contract & W-9 Forms to Accounts Payable to be used as backup for the payment. This is necessary because we will not receive an invoice from the payee. The original contract & W-9 Form should be sent to procurement.
5. You should count on at least 10 days for this process, and also remember that payment cannot be made until the individual has returned the completed W-9 and Accounts Payable receives the contract.
For reimbursement of expenses please see the Reimbursing Guest Speakers and Other Non-State Employees policy
Any questions for Accounts Payable, please call or e-mail Rosalin Speed (953-5027).