Dedication of the James C. O'Flaherty Collection, The Citadel
Friday, 7 December 2007, Noon, Daniel Library
The Department of Modern Languages' German Section and Daniel Library hosted the dedication of the James C. O'Flaherty Collection of Hamanniana and Nietzscheana. Courtesy of Dr. Sam Hines, Provost and Dean of the College, a luncheon followed in the Library's Prioleau Room.
Dr. O'Flaherty was professor of German at Wake Forest from 1947 until his retirement in 1984. An international authority on the philosopher and theologian Johann Georg Hamann, O'Flaherty assembled the most extensive collection of books and articles on Hamann extant outside of Germany. He was also a noted scholar of Friedrich Nietzsche, the subject of the second part of the Collection.
The Collection is richly complemented by Professor O'Flaherty's extensive papers, including his correspondence with prominent scholars, authors, cultural theorists, and political activists such as Bertrand Russell, Thomas Mann, Ernst Jünger, Franz von Papen, Inge Aicher-Scholl, Otto Hahn, Max von Laue, Werner Heisenberg, and Isaiah Berlin.
Dr. Daniel O'Flaherty (right), donor of the collection and son of James C. O'Flaherty,
observes as Dr. Angie LeClercq, Library Director, begins the ceremony.
Dr. Albert E. Gurganus (right), Professor of German and Director of the Office of Fellowships,
pays tribute to his late professor.
Beside a portrait of his father, Dr. Daniel O'Flaherty concludes the dedication.
German majors and minors; Dr. Al Finch, Dean of Humanities & Social Sciences;
Mr. Stephen Della Lana and Dr. Nancy Nenno of the College of Charleston;
Dr. Katya Skow, The Citadel's German Section Chief.